PCS – 75th Anniversary of Windrush
The PCS National Black Members’ Committee is marking the 75th Anniversary of Windrush with a Facebook Live and Zoom event taking place on Monday, 19 June at 6pm -7.30pm.
The event will reflect on the Windrush legacy and scandal which has impacted so many black people and their families. The scandal highlighted deep-rooted issues of racism and discrimination within the UK immigration system. The Windrush generation, named after the ship that brought the first wave of Caribbean immigration to the UK in 1948, faced systematic barriers to citizenship and employment opportunities for decades, despite their contribution to the country’s economy and society.
PCS continues to call for justice for the Windrush generation and their descendants and crucially for compensation to be paid to those impacted, as many victims have still not yet been compensated.
- Patrick Vernon – Windrush Campaigner and Cultural Historian
- Zita Holbourne – Founder BARAC UK
- Hector Wesley – PCS National Executive Committee
- Tracey Hylton – Vice Chair of the National Black Members Committee and PCS National Executive Committee will host the event.
- Mohammed Shafiq – Chair of the National Black Members Committee and PCS National Executive Committee will provide information on upcoming NBMC activities.